What does it mean?

Any Spanish used in blog posts is hyperlinked to its English translation.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

First Doctor Visit

So, though lots of online fora (or "forums" for the Hoi Polloi) say that doctors don't want to see people till they are 6 weeks + , the office I go to said to come in.

Nurse:
"What are you coming in for." (It was not phrased as a question.)
me:
"I found out I'm pregnant this morning. Do I have to come in or something?"
Nurse:
"What."
me:
"I found out I'm pregnant this morning. Do I have to come in or something?"
Nurse:
(slightly friendlier tone?)"You have to have your pregnancy confirmed to receive prenatal care. You can come in tomorrow."

So fine, I go in today... and they have me pee in a cup. Dudes, I did that at home. Really. The resident... not wearing a coat so maybe just a student?... was nervous and had a hard time asking questions like:
"Are you planning to continue the pregnancy?"
"Is the father involved?"

I tried not to crack up.

She left to go "figure out" my due date - spin the pregnancy wheel, I imagine - based upon first day of last period (most accurate method ever!) and comes back, sounding annoyed (or perhaps just surprised?): "You are 4 weeks and 4 days. That's the earliest I've ever seen."

The Hottest Computer Scientist in the Universe points out: The earliest she's ever seen in all 95 days of her residency?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've taken out Word Verification and enabled backlinks to be more commenter-friendly. Sorry for any earlier inconvenience!