What does it mean?

Any Spanish used in blog posts is hyperlinked to its English translation.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Things people say

I've already learned to expect to be rubbed/grabbed in a way I never have been before. Maybe my butt has grown so that people are just intimidated by its mass now? But no, that would mean they'd cower in fear at my belly instead of reach for it.

Which is fine. I have read about that, so it was vaguely expected, and I tend to interact via touch anyhow.


But good lord, the things people say.

The two best so far:
  • There is no "Hello": When greeting a pregnant person, instead you must ask: "How are you feeling?" News flash: THIS IS NOT A TERMINAL ILLNESS.
  • The other is an anecdote:
A wonderful sweet woman, mom to several kids, understanding and kind, was jovially welcoming me to the mom-club, so to speak. She asked, in front of two other people, "Are you ready?"

I laughed and replied, "Of course not!" Thinking, of course, like I think any reasonable person ought, that there's no way to prepare for the lifelong tornado that is parenthood.

Her immediate response:
"Oh, it wasn't planned?"

Facepalm.

1 comment:

  1. LOOOOOL
    This post made me laugh out loud! They should make a show called "Things people say and do to pregnant women." I think it will be a hit. I have not yet gotten any comments by strangers (or even family much yet) because I am not really showing yet, except for those who already know just assume I must have gained weight so they tell me that I have (Ummm....I LOST 2 lbs).

    ReplyDelete

I've taken out Word Verification and enabled backlinks to be more commenter-friendly. Sorry for any earlier inconvenience!